Visits

Friday, April 12, 2019

Pet Sematary

Wild night last night. Stayed up till 8:50! Burning the candle at both ends, right? Like a youngster of 64. 

To be honest, I had grown quite tired by the time 8 rolled around, but I had become involved in Pet Sematary, the recent film based on the old Stephen King novel. I read the novel many years ago, and have always thought it one of his creepiest offerings, as well as one of his best executed. As with all things, however, my memory had retained few specifics about the story, and so the movie seemed mostly new to me. For that matter, the movie may well have been quite different from the novel, as is the case with many King novel-to-movie productions. I'd have to read the book again (which I wouldn't mind doing, actually. I note that it has been newly published in the Indonesian language). 

Different or not, I found the movie to be strong on its own merits, with a generous dose of effective chills and terrors. It is a particularly lurid subject--the permanence of death, the incurable heartache, and what happens when that natural pattern is transgressed. In short, as bad as death is for the living to bear, it could be even worse! 

I find that films based on King novels are often disappointing, or just downright bad. (Take the recent production of IT, for instance). Pet Sematary, in my mind, is an exception. Two thumbs up! 

No comments: