Visits

Sunday, April 21, 2019

These Shoes are Meant for Walking

Got out for another short excursion today, this time to the mall, with the extravagant conceit that I needed to buy a pair of tennis shoes because I need to get back to walking on a regular basis, which itself arose after several comments regarding my "fatness". Not that the these were inaccurate observations. Indeed, during the months that I have been ill, I have often eaten in order to temporarily sooth my throat, and also because of a general inability to do anything much more active than eating. So, yes, I've gained some weight. Who knows how much? I don't have a scale. But, of course, the weight gain is apparent.

Once I got done at the mall, I did not feel much like walking any more. predictably enough. Maybe tomorrow. 

Yesterday, I ended up buying something called ketoconazole at the Apotek. This, apparently, is the poor man's option for the treatment of fungal infections, though, in fact, it is mostly intended for use against skin infections (thrush is lifted fairly far down the list on the package indications). But the thing is, one needs a prescription for the strong stuff (fluconazole), and in order to get a prescription, one must see the doctor, to the tune of at least 1 million Rupiah each visit. Just can't swing it. Aside from that, I had already taken two courses of fluconazole and, once the medication was gone, the infection returned. So what's the point? 

I'm feeling a bit better, honestly, just using natural sorts of remedies and otc meds (such as Advil and methylprednisolone), but still a fur piece from well. I just don't have any other ideas other than to slog through on my own, embracing the questionable belief that the body, ultimately, knows how to heal itself.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from TN! I will preface this by first saying that I am NOT a doctor, nor do I play one on TV! BUT I do have PPMS, fibromyalgia, asthma, pre-diabetes, ... you get the picture. 😉 I also have a BS degree in Medical Technology and worked for years as a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative. That said, I have some personal experience in medications. The reason for this note is that you have mentioned that this throat infection that has been so very difficult to shake has been primarily a fungal type infection. You also mentioned you are taking methylprednisilone, I believe. This particular drug, or any of the steroids, can make a body much more susceptible to fungal infections. It can be a vicious cycle, many benefits to the steroids, yet they can really wreak havoc, especially long-term, on our bodies! You may need to stop the steroid, at least for a while. Then treat the fungal infection rather aggressively to make sure it is gone. Then, reconsider if you should restart the steroid again or not. So very sorry you are going through this and praying you can kick these repeated infections in the butt pronto!! Hope you are on the mend! 😊

R.W. Boughton said...

Hello, Tennessee! I was there is '95 or so and visited the city of Chattanooga. I remember eating at a wonderful restaurant called "Sticky Fingers". Mainly, I wanted to see Lookout Mountain and the battlefield there (such as it is). My wife (at the time) decided it would be more interesting to visit the cave complex, Ruby falls; and, in fact, it was pretty interesting!


Recently, people have told me that I should be taking methylprednisolone, but now that you mention it, I remember reading that you should not use it in the presence of a fungal infection. I had forgotten, which is one of my hobbies these days.

After finishing the anti-fungal meds, I felt better for about one day, and then the infection came roaring back. My pharmacist insisted that I go back to antibiotics after two weeks of anti-fungals, and so in desperation, I did. Perhaps a bad idea. We'll see.

Thanks for your concern.