Visits

Friday, February 28, 2020

Exploring

Feeling like doing a bit of exploring this morning, I ventured out to the new Starbucks DT at the far reaches of Jalan Teuku Umar (far, anyway, as an unwell old man reckons distance), discovering upon fortuitous arrival there (given the general insanity of motorists on that main artery through Denpasar) that DT stands for 'drivethrough'. But of course there was indoor seating as well in an environment notable for its excellent air-conditioning and uncomfortable chairs, although they certainly looked good from the standing position. I ordered a grande latte, which I quaffed with rare alacrity, and then headed back into the stream of insanity in the opposite direction toward home. 

Bumping and swerving on my way, I suddenly realized that I had neglected to make use of the promosi of the day--two tall coffees for the price of one. Although one grande is enough for me these days, or enough in any case for my eternally damaged stomach, a thrifty man can hardly pass up a 2 for 1 deal, and I therefore stopped at the Plaza Renon Starbucks (my preferred store) to claim my two coffees. 

As I have friends among the baristas here, I was given a grande in place or a tall, and then for the second tall, another grande. 

I'm feeling sick now. 

A man sitting nearby is coughing and sneezing and I can't help but think of coronavirus. 

At the same time, however, I cannot help but be entertained by two young women, surely teens, as they pose turn by turn for photos out on the veranda. The one is wearing a black top, the hem of which ends just above her navel, and a beige miniskirt with the hem just below her ... well, you know. Her friend is wearing a casual white summer dress, and both are wearing mammoth black army boots, shined to a glow even in the bright daylight. They clunk together to this or that table and pose standing, sitting, legs crossed, legs uncrossed, smiling directly at the lens or gazing aside at nothing in particular. They say 'wait' and arrange their hair, or decide to shift one hip rather than the other. They examine the results, then move to another table, another background, another canvas, though it is an open question whether any setting in the world can match their beauty, especially if the perfect pose is struck. And there is certainly nothing in nature in any case that can vie with those magnificent black army boots!

No comments: