Visits

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Hillsong

For the last few Sundays, I have wanted to go to church, but have not yet made it. Lazy. Always some reason. 

But the reason I have thought of this is that a new church has opened just across the street from the Starbucks I always go to. Well, it's not a church, actually, but a service held in a new hotel. Hmm … come to think of it, it is a church, given that church is a gathering of believers rather than a building. 

Anyway, it is a Hillsong church. I've never been to one of those and I thought it might be fun at least to watch. I imagine there is a lot of singing, and perhaps the annoying electric guitars and drums. I believe it is a charismatic church, right? I don't know. As I say, I've never been to one. I just know that a lot of popular music comes out of Hillsong. 

Church here in Bali has been generally a bust. We (Louis and I) used to go to a little church in Sanur (again located in a hotel). But it turned out to be more of a bule club than a church. Not my cup of tea. 

I have been also to a church, also in a hotel, out the Bypass on the way to Kuta, but this one was pastored by a fellow from New York who seemed to me full of it (and full of himself). More new age hype than gospel. 

And then there are the Indonesian churches, where multiple people are given multiple microphones into which they shriek in various registers. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Never give an Indonesian a microphone. It's hard enough to understand what they are saying without the deafening amplification. 

Perhaps one day I will actually make it there. At least here in Bali they don't burn or lock down churches as happens in Sumatra and Java and elsewhere in Indonesia. I guess I ought to show some appreciation for this more liberal culture by actually attending.

No comments: