Visits

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

A Mysterious Merry Christmas Message

 The other day, I received a phone message from an unknown number, no name attached. The message read 'Merry Christmas'. There was a second message from the same number with a photo of my old family home on Mt. Tabor in Portland. Now, this perplexed me to no end. I discovered that the area code of the number placed the call in New York City. How can it be? I don't know anyone in New York. And who in New York would have a photo of my old family home? 

Well, as it turned out, the mystery was solve easily enough. I called my second wife, with whom I had had lived in that house in Portland, and asked if she had sent it. 'No,' she said, 'I think Jamila sent it. Jamila is my younger stepdaughter. Ah ha! And it just so happens that Jamila used to live in New York, and it also just so happens that she is visiting friends there during the holiday season. 

Why did she sent a photo of my old house (where she had never lived, as she had already moved away from Portland by that time), and why had she not attached her name to the Christmas greeting? ... Well, that's still a mystery. 

No comments: