Visits

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Rub-a Dub-Dub

As I was taking a shower this morning, the water suddenly quit on me. Not just the hot water, but all of the water. That same 'all', in my house, is controlled by a pump and there is no other, except for that in the drinking water dispenser--and this is what I used, cup-by-cup, to get as much soap off of me as I could. 

There are still many builders working in the neighborhood, and so we (the neighbor and I) soon employed one of these to look into the problem. Turns out the the pump is receiving no electricity, although the electricity in the rest of the house is still operational. 

This is inconvenient but not surprising. If everything worked, this wouldn't be Bali. And I had long suspected anyway that there was some essential problem with the electricity. The AC, for instance, works only if you don't use the water (and thus engage the pump). This seemed absurd to me, but the project manager assured me one would have to upgrade the electricity in the entire house (at significant cost) to have a system that would run both the AC and the water at the same time. If you ask me, people here just make stuff up when they would prefer not to deal with a problem, and I reckon this is one of those cases. My suspicion is fortified this morning when the next door neighbor tells me that he experiences no such problem in his house, which is exactly the same as my house and was built at the same time. 

No comments: