Visits

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Vyt and Tina

 I hooked up with my old friend Vyt on the day after Christmas for a coffee and a pleasant visit. Gosh, I guess I've known Vyt for perhaps eight years now. Back then, we both wrote editorials for The Bali Times newspaper, and then later on he was my next door neighbor for a few years. Vyt is maybe 73 or 74 now and getting a bit shaky, much like me. He has trouble walking, trouble seeing, and neither of us can hear worth a damn. Vyt is fortunate to have married a woman about three years ago who clearly loves him just for himself. It's truly heartwarming to see the companionship. She is significantly younger than Vyt, about 50, I think, although she looks much younger than that. But the point is, she is still quite energetic and able and helps him with such things like walking up stairs, reading the restaurant menu, and so on. A good woman is truly to be valued very highly. One can hardly measure the blessing of being loved and valued by a woman. Theirs, as it seems to me, is an old style marriage, wherein those familiar vows--to love and cherish, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health--truly have meaning. 

No comments: