Visits

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

A Rumination on Teeth

 The one undeniable thing that can be said about false teeth is that the natural ones are infinitely preferable. I come to this conclusion after receiving my upper set of teeth last night and finding them, in combination with the already existing lower set, twice as uncomfortable and similarly as useless if we are talking about actually chewing anything. I guess the point ultimately is cosmetic, and to that extent anyway these gleaming gnashers do restore an air of dignity to one's smile, in the case, that is, where one might find something to smile about in the midst of being more inclined to wince from the pain of those hard plastic edges pressing against one's gums. Of course, the pain will recede somewhat over time as one adjusts to the presence of the appliance through continual wear. In fact, I have been required by my dentist to leave the teeth in for two days and nights to begin with--a necessity which, as I found last night, makes a peaceful sleep rather difficult to come by. 

One cannot help but pause and meditate on the perfection of the original teeth, those fashioned from the beginning by the creator. How very part of us they are! How organic! How natural! What a pleasure these made of eating! With false teeth, you have not so much the sense of chewing as of simply pressing some sort of matter, perhaps damp cardboard, between the upper and lower rows of plastic--a method that derives no appreciable taste but does increase the painful response in the gums as the edges of the appliances are pressed into the already tender living tissues. How very miraculously we are made, as King David noted. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. 

And now, seeing one by one those wonders fall away, my soul knows it even better! 

No comments: