Visits

Sunday, November 17, 2019

In My View Five

After many eye tests and measurements and so on, I finally got my cataract surgery yesterday and I must say that the results are amazing! I am seeing now with a clarity that has not been present since my prepubescent days. In the left eye, anyway. My God, how different the world looks! How much more negotiable! Now I'm feeling greedy in that I want the right eye done too, because the new clarity in the left eye has made the lack of the same in the right all the more obvious, not to mention irritating. 

The operation itself was done at Ramata Eye Hospital, a western standard clinic associated with Sanglah, and was much different than I had imagined. I had been told that it would not hurt, and it didn't (much), but it was quite uncomfortable nonetheless. Feels like your eye is a bowl of thick soup which he being stirred with a tiny spoon, such that you think, during the procedure, that there will be no eye remaining at its conclusion. It is a kaleidoscope of bright lights, colors and shapes that one has never experienced before. At the end of the surgery, one can see immediately, no need for a bandage, but only a pair of clunky spectacles to keep dust and such out. 

Of course, my eyeglasses, which I had purchased less than a month ago, are now nearly completely useless. And the doctor says that if I get the right eye done, I will no longer require glasses at all. Even now, I can actually see quite clearly what I am typing, and it has been a long, long time indeed since that has happened. 

So I am seeing like a 10 year old with the left eye and a 65 year old with the right. Hmmm, I wonder what sort of psychological effect this might have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is encouraging news for us with poor eye sight.