Visits

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Shattered Windows

My laptop had been spazing out for the past few days, and last night I found out why. Yup, it's Wndows 10. 'Must update in order that Windows 10 can run effectively.' That's rich. When does Windows 10 ever run effectively? Ah, but the thing had me cornered, it seemed. I would try to visit a website, for instance, and would receive a message stating that I must connect to wifi. I was connected to wifi. Next, I would simply get the revolving circle of death, and then a message informing me that I must refresh the page, which would bring about a new message saying that Windows could not connect to this page. 

So I ran the Windows update for the next couple hours. Voila. This resulted in Windows not functioning at all. 

I struggled with the thing into the wee hours of the morning, and then resumed the struggle fresh at first light, and I now have it working after a fashion. The update has, of course, disabled pretty much every feature and shortcut I had set up for myself through the years, and so there is the added fun of trying to reconstitute these. It also decided not to communicate with my phone any longer, which led to a separate struggle between laptop and phone. 

This is the second epic fail I have had with Windows 10, and it has convinced me that when I get a new laptop, should I live that long, I will switch to Apple. More expensive, sure--but worth t, I reckon. Of course, this would entail a steep learning curve for an old man like me, whose curve tends only downward, but, still, it can't be as bad as Windows! 

Did I mention that I hate Windows 10? 

No comments: