Visits

Thursday, November 14, 2019

In My View Four

An entire day devoted to sitting around in the hospital, punctuated by occasional visits with doctors and/or nurses. Turns out that one has to have any number of tests before actually having cataract surgery. So from 10 to about 4, I was a resident of Sanglah Hospital. Moreover, tomorrow morning I must go to yet another clinic for yet another test, and will then proceed with the surgery. Let's roll! A cataract in the middle of one's vision is truly irritating. Can't see to read, can't see to type, can't see to watch TV … can't see to see. 

So hopefully I will soon get the cataract removed and the fog dispersed. 

Strangely, I was accompanied by a whole gang of girls--Louis, Betty, and another girl whose name I have forgotten. My own little entourage. But I'm glad they were there, because on my own, especially not being able to see, I would never have been able to navigate the various dark and dim corners of the hospital we got sent to. Naturally, every component of eye examinations is located in a different, far flung area. Go figure. 

It does turn out, btw, that costs for this surgery vary widely in Bali. At Sanglah, which is actually considered a better hospital than Kasih Ibu, the price will be half as much. Again, go figure. 

No comments: