Visits

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Que Sera Sera

In chatting with my stepson this morning, I realized in a more immediate way than usual how basically disinterested everyday Americans are in what's going on politically, what with Trump and all the scandals and all the democratic candidates and so on. 

He mentioned that he had been to a Halloween party where everyone was dead drunk (although he himself does not drink), and I commented "So it was a Cavanaugh sort of party."

"Who is Kavanaugh?" he asked. 

I briefly explained. 

"Sorry. I don't keep up with politics too much," he wrote.

Well, why should he? Were I young and involved in the struggles of daily living, with friends, with girlfriends, with college, with work, I probably wouldn't either. Who has the time? 

As it is, I follow the news very closely, perhaps obsessively, which actually, ironically, makes me rather out of touch with the current of American life--because most Americans simply do not. There are simply too many avenues, demands, desires drawing their attention. And my stepson is a very bright young man, so it's not about intelligence or an ability to engage. It is, in some sense, all about bullshit that has nothing to do with real everyday life.  

"Like, honestly," he wrote, "either something happens or something doesn't."

The sense, I think, is that all is beyond the control of common people to begin with. Whatever happens is inevitable. And that may be the case, God help us. Was not the 2016 election, ultimately, beyond our control? Who decided the outcome, after all? The electoral college? The Russians? Surely not the American people. 

"Why anyway do people want to impeach Trump?" Sasha asked. "Isn't his term basically over?"

Over only if he is not re-elected, I explained. Moreover, I suppose it has something to do with principles, the integrity of our government, a protection of our democracy in the future, lest we end up as a banana republic.

"A banana republic?" Sasha wrote. 

Sigh. 

I do fear that people fail to appreciate the continual frailty of democratic rule. It is as it is and always will be. They have forgotten the warning issued by Benjamin Franklin who when questioned about whether we had a monarchy or a republic said 'A republic, if we can keep it.' 

If. A rather important word. One to remember before it's too late. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. It tell my friends to pay attention. Grown adults are just so disconnected it amazes me that they seem to be alright with this mode, the disconnected mode.