Visits

Sunday, December 17, 2017

As the World Turns

Well, the welcome home/surprise party last night started out fairly drearily, not because it wasn't a nicely done party, with lots of balloons, twinkle lights and a lavish catered meal, but just because it felt just a bit odd for me to be in attendance at a surprise party for the man my wife is running away with. Lol. But, as I said, I want to do whatever I can to be a positive part of the situation--whether that means showing my friendship or disappearing altogether. Whatever is most pleasing to the people involved. 

The night improved, however, when I separated myself from the central group and joined 'the smoking table', around which were gathered five young men and one young woman, all Balinese and all employed by the catering service. (They had stayed, of course, for free drinks and food). Upon learning that I could speak Indonesian, they were all very excited and full of questions and comments. Where are you from? Oh, America! What part of America? What's the weather like there? Where do you live here? Why do you live here? What hobbies do you have? And so on and so forth. 

Then one asked, "Well, how do you know Louis?" 

"Well, she's my wife." 

"Oh? But I thought the party was for that bald Australian fellow." 

"Yes, it is. That's her boyfriend." 

"Hah! How can it be?"

So, I explained, and they listened attentively. 

"Wah, Bapak orang baik hati, ya." You are a kindhearted person. "Usually there must be much anger and fighting." 

Indeed.

"Hey, Bapak," the girl says, showing me a photo on her phone. "This is my mother. She is single. She is looking for man. She likes best the white man."

"No, no," her friend interrupts, thrusting his own phone forward. "This is my auntie. She is very beautiful, yes? She is single, Bapak. Looking for husband!" 

Life goes on, it seems. And very quickly at that. 

Now, how will I explain to the mother and the auntie that I am actually single and married. How do you say this in Indonesian, I wonder? 


No comments: