Visits

Monday, December 18, 2017

The Rat War

The rats have returned to my kitchen drawers during the last week.  Which means that the war is on again.

The one that I saw was actually rather small--more properly a mouse, I suppose. And although I've long since removed the utensils from the drawers and placed them upright in two jar-like containers, still I don't feel that my kitchen is a proper place for rats or my kitchen drawers a proper bedroom.

This small one, however, is wily. Already he has somehow escaped two sticky traps. From one, he was able to take the little slice of meat from the center without, by all appearances, treading on the sticky surface of the trap at all. Impossible, but there you have it. The next day, I found a second trap upside down, the meat gone, and no rat.

Rat hunting begins to become an expensive venture.

Nor was he trapped last night, although he did knock the toothbrush and toothpaste container off the top of the refrigerator.

So now I must buy new traps, for which the big fat brown dog must donate more of her sausage treats. Everyone suffers, you see, because of these rats.

Last time they invaded the kitchen, I happened to open one of the drawers without thinking first, only to find quite a large rodent roaming around within. Upon seeing me, he ran toward me for some reason, rather than away from me, which caused me to step backward suddenly, startled, and off the raised edge of the kitchen area, and thence onto my back in the yard.

Rat hunting is a fearsome and dangerous activity.  

No comments: