Visits

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Quandary


I’ve been thinking lately, given that I’m alone in the house now and need to keep a closer watch on my expenditures, that I should tell Samuel, who cleans the house once a week, that I cannot afford to pay him anymore and must do the job myself. I go back and forth about this. On the one hand, Samuel is a good man, a thorough worker, and he and his family need every extra bit of money they can get. On the other hand, I really could do the cleaning myself, although not so meticulously as Samuel, and thus save 75.000 Rupiah a week.

But then I realized something. The fact is that I spend the same amount every day of the week on morning and evening coffee for myself. Should I not rather go without coffee one day a week such that I may assist Samuel, his wife and their little baby?

Well, the answer is obvious, isn’t it?

How remiss we tend to be in thinking of others, in making the least sacrifice of ourselves. The answer to my supposed quandary is so clear that I feel ashamed that it ever seemed a quandary at all. What was I thinking?

Of course I will continue to employ Samuel, and pay him once a week—and, moreover, I will give him extra on Christmas! That day, of all days, it will be a pleasure to forego my cup of coffee.

No comments: