Visits

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Cowboys and Crooners

Lost in translation may refer to more than simply differences in language. It can also be a product of differences in culture, or incomplete knowledge of another culture. 

As an example, when I wear a hat to Starbucks, my friends there will often say that I look like "a cowboy".

I decided one day to set them straight. 

"No, not a cowboy. What I'm wearing is a fedora, not a cowboy hat. Not like a cowboy, but more like Frank Sinatra."

"Who?"

"Who? You know, Sinatra. The singer."

No, they don't. 

"Starbucks very often plays his music."

"Oh?"

Good grief. "Well, you see, a cowboy hat is different. The brim is much wider. Think of Joe Wayne."

"Who?"

"Who! You don't know John Wayne? I mean, come on ... it's John Wayne!"

Blank stares.

"How about the Marlboro Man?"

"Ahhh!" 

Yes, they know the Marlboro Man. 

So, now they know what a cowboy hat looks like. 

They still don't know who Frank Sinatra is--though one of his songs is playing at this very moment! 

No comments: