Visits

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Strange, Evolving History of My Pain

As I've mentioned in the past, any number of times, in or around August 10, 2016, I experienced a sudden pain beneath my right shoulder blade. There seemed to be no cause for this, nothing unusual that I had done. It just suddenly struck. Within hours, the pain had become incredibly sharp and intense. This continued unabated for a couple weeks, allowing me very little sleep. 

Over time, the pain began to become less intense, less focused, and at the same time began to spread through a wider area, encompassing my neck, shoulder, and upper back. Movement of the right arm was painful and often exacerbated the general pain. It felt as though I could feel bones clunking against one another. 

My guess was that this was because the muscles in the area were behaving unnaturally as a result of injury to or destruction of the nerves in the area. After experimenting with various medications, I finally settled on Neurontin during the day and Xanax at night as the most effective treatment. 

Now, I discover, as the pain continues to decrease in the shoulder an neck, it has begun to descend downward into my right hip and thigh. 

How strange.

I can picture this continuing to travel downward, to my knee and calf and foot and finally to my toes. And from that point, it must exit ... right? I picture it gradually draining out of my toes and crawling away like some alien invader that has been expelled. 

Of course, I suppose it could just turn around again, having reached a dead-end, and climb back up again. But I'll keep quiet about that, hoping not to give it any ideas. 

No comments: