Visits

Friday, February 9, 2018

Kenyang

Although all Indonesians speak a common language--Bahasa Indonesia--they also speak the native language of the island or area they come from, be that Bahasa Bali, Bahasa Jawa, Bahasa Batak, or what have you. There are literally hundreds of regional languages. Additionally, a word in Indonesian may have a different meaning in a separate language.

For example, the word kenyang in Bahasa Indonesian means "full", as in, I have just eaten and now I'm full. 

It means something else in Bahasa Bali (though, of course, they are perfectly aware of the Indonesian meaning). 

For this reason, when an acquaintance recently asked whether I wanted to eat something, I answered, "No. Baru makan. Sudah kenyang." 

This should have meant 'I have just eaten, I'm already full' -- and it does mean just that in Bahasa Indonesia. The case is different in Bahasa Bali. 

"Oh," she said. "Are you kenyang Indonesia or kenyang Bali?"

"Umm ... Bali?" I guessed. 

This brought on a peel of laughter, from the woman and from her friends. 

You see, in Bahasa Bali, to say that one is kenyang means that one  has an erection! 


No comments: