Visits

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Scammers

A year or so ago, Healthline produced on app called MS Buddy. I was among the first to 'test drive' the app. This app gives one the opportunity to communicate with others who have MS, share stories and symptoms, and so on. There are also articles and research updates.

Lately, however, it seems to have been discovered by scammers. I have received several greetings which, when answered, lead to a generally wacky sort of story and an invitation for you to share your email address so that you can speak at greater length. Supposedly.

The note I received yesterday was from someone who was clearly using English as a second language. She had a 'special opportunity' for me to do something for others, which seemed to require me to give her my email address.

Oh, that's okay, I answered. Just tell me what you want or need right here in MS Buddy.

But of course, that was not possible. You must give me your email address, 'my dear'.

Pfft.

And then there are the ones who will say that they can see from your profile that you are a wonderful man, just the man they have been waiting so long to meet. They are sure you can have a wonderful life together, if you would just give them your email. Strange, this--given that the profile on MS Buddy is quite brief and only a list of symptoms suffered and medications taken!

Sad, is it not, when people prey on members of a community devoted to those suffering from a disease? One really wonders at the darkness that must reside in such souls.

No comments: