Visits

Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Return of the Laptop

Okay, we're back! Turns out we didn't have to reformat any drives, but just reinstalling Windows and getting all the programs back in shape and on the screen is a considerable task. The lesson in all this? Don't ever obey a Windows message and update Windows!

Was beginning to worry that I would have to face the dreaded Balinese day of silence, Nyepi (3/17), without my laptop! Whew. Well, technically we're not supposed to be using any sort of electricity, laptops included along with lights, appliances, air-conditioning and so on, and we must stay completely indoors. Luckily, my back yard is not visible from any other house, so I can wander around out there to my heart's desire, as long as I'm quiet. I have my supply of candles ready, and will need to buy a supply of enjoyable junk food, 'cause it'll be movie night all day long.

Of course, I had a lot of things on my laptop tailored to optimal settings, and will likely have to tinker about for a while to get it all sorted out and back to normal. But the blog is working just fine, as is the internet and Word and so on. So I'm back in business.  

No comments: