Visits

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Andropause

"I can deal with the sore throat," I told my doctor. I can deal with the sinus infection and the high pressure congestion. But I can't deal with this extreme feeling of heat in my neck and head!" 

"Well," she said, "the good news is that it has nothing to do with the infection in your throat and sinuses."

Not really my idea of "good news". 

"So what can we do?" 

"Hmm. I don't know." 

Later in the week I see the neurologist. I describe the heat which is at that very moment raging in my skull. 

"Oh, that's probably male hot flashes … male menopause. We call it andropause." 

Huh? Who has even ever heard of such a thing? Male menopause? Are you kidding me?"

No. No joke. It's actually 'a thing'. 

Andropause arises from age-related changes in male hormone levels. The same group of symptoms is also known as testosterone deficiency  and androgen deficiency. The symptoms are much like those experienced by menopausal women--a sense of extreme heat, sweating, extreme fatigue, mood instability, depression, etc. 

Testosterone does more than fuel the male sex drive. It fuels changes during puberty, fuels your mental and physical energy, maintains your muscle mass, regulates your fight or flight response, and regulates other key evolutionary features. 

Are we having fun yet? 

Whereas all women will experience menopause, only about 21 percent of men will suffer symptoms of male menopause. 

As always, I am one of the lucky few. 

No comments: