Visits

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Job and Etc.

Another day with the doctor. Getting to know the woman pretty well! Okay, I know, I had recently said that my illness seemed to be going away at last. Shoulda known better than to open my big mouth. How's the old saying go? Don't cunt your chickens before they're hatched? Ernest Hemingway used to say that if you are expecting something, especially something good, keep your mouth off it! A superstition to be sure, but as with many superstitions, there may be something to it. After claiming to be on the mend, I  became quite ill again on Sunday night, just as if some supernatural evil interloper had heard my enthusiastic predictions and said "Ah ha, we'll show him!" 

So today the doctor finally talked me into getting a CT scan of the head (something she had been wanting to do from the beginning). She claims to have determined from this the presence of a fungal infection in the sinuses and throat, but identified no more serious (so to speak) problem (such as one that would need surgery). So I've gotten three new medicines now and it's off we go to the races again. Will just plod along one step at a time this time around, like the fabled tortoise, and leave visions of the finish line to the rabbit. 

This is, in fact, a candida infection, and it has come to my attention through research that a favorite target of candida is people with autoimmune disorders such as MS. Doesn't seem quite fair of the thing to pick on people who already have a problem, but there you have it. So I am learning this new facet of MS (new for me, anyway)--the susceptibility of those with the condition to various aggressive sorts of infection. The ENT I've been seeing wants me to see a neurologist for a specific discussion of this part of MS,, along with measures, one assumes, or hopes, that might be taken against future incidents. And I do suppose she is right. I haven't seen a neurologist in some four or five years, and I guess that is kinda strange! For a person, I mean, with a neurological disease.

Perhaps some of my posts during this time have been a bit depressing. (I see that my readership has fallen off). Well, I guess that's because I've been a bit depressed. But I suppose at the same time that there is a place for that (as long as it is kept in its place).. I'm not afraid to confront things that are tragic or painful or just plain wrong. No point in pretending that they are not there or that they don't happen. As Al Pacino said in the film And Justice for All, "Something really wrong is going on here." Sometimes philosophy is just too easy--nothing more than a shield. Sometimes anger, outrage, sorrow are the only things that properly fit. The Book of Job can tell you that much, for in that book, Job, having suffered terrible, heartbreaking losses, was subjected to the philosophizing, admonishments, justifications, excuses of three friends, and none of it even touched the raw anger that Job was feeling. This, his heart, he took directly to God, and did receive his answer. 

No comments: