Visits

Sunday, May 19, 2019

On Second Thought

Several people have responded to my recent post, "Weird", noting the propensity of doctors to "find" problems or to begin treatment of a lot of things quite unrelated to the problem for which one has sought a doctor's help in the first place. I suspect that this is quite true. Especially for older men such as me, we may appear to be treasure troves of potential medical conditions. That might be fine if you have insurance and enjoy going to the doctor, but neither is the case with me. Stepping back, I observe that my blood pressure is not terrifically high, and my blood sugar is just a bit above normal (borderline). It strikes me that these abnormalities may be directly related to the long-running infection I have had, and n any case might be treated with a stricter diet and more exercise.  Rather than giving stacks of money to the hospital for visits and medications, it seems more logical to take a conservative approach and see how things go--for the fact is, when I first sought medical help, I was not aware of any symptoms of high blood pressure or high blood sugar. What I was aware of was the pain from the damn throat infection! So, I reckon fixing that first and then seeing how I feel otherwise may be the best course. It is certainly the most financially viable one. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard “healthy gut healthy you”? I don’t mean to take your condition lightly, but I believe in holistic approach. You are what you eat, think, and exercise:)

R.W. Boughton said...

Anonymous--Yes, I understand. I have been quite lax over many years with diet and exercise. It catches up to you.

Mb said...

1 million men around the world would probably get same diagnosis based on age and that is the go to diagnosis for Dr.to say. Trust me they say mostly the same thing to every patient every day. They have a set of diagnosis they rotate through daily. Unless you are at Duke or Mayo type setting this is how it goes.