Visits

Sunday, July 8, 2018

London, as in Jack

I happened to watch a new animated movie version yesterday of the Jack London novel, White Fang. I thought it really quite well done, though the somewhat brutal edges of the novel had been softened. The reason that I chose it from the movie list is that this was the first novel I ever read, way back when in grade school. I remember that the teacher had passed out little booklets with order forms an d you could choose the book you wanted (after asking your mother for the money, of course).  It was my first experience of the nature of the treasure that can be found in books--how real the story can be, how a book can come to life. It was like TV, only better, for there was a certain personal involvement, somehow, that went beyond merely watching, listening. Magically, one actually seemed to be taking part in the story. 

I remember wanting to share the story with other people while I read it, and realizing for the first time that there were things about books that could not be shared, that must be experienced first hand. It was not enough to say what happened. One must be there, in the world of those words, the world of that creation. 

After reading the book, I sought to write my own story about 'wolf-dogs'. It just wasn't the same, of course. And that, in turn, was my first introduction to the native talent and curious character that goes into the creation of the world in fiction. How had London done this? Why were his wolf-dogs real and mine so silly? Just how had he caused the reader, to 'suspend disbelief'? 

Of course, Jack London is now not considered a giant among writers, nor is there any reason that he should be. In his own time, however, London was immensely successful and popular--and even more interesting than London's fiction, as I learned much later on, was London's life. Great stuff for biography! What he did achieve in a lasting way were a handful of compelling tales of the Yukon and the goldrush, along with some very well known dog stories, like White Fang and Call of the Wild, which have been the model for thousands of stories since, even to this day. 

No comments: