Visits

Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Lovers

This skinny little brown dog has become a constant companion of the big fat brown dog of late. The big fat brown dog is convinced that this is because she is a pleasant, fascinating individual, where intellect and general body odor are concerned, although, in fact, it is because she is currently in heat. Will females never learn? In any case, the little dog accompanies her at all times, like a second tail, and enjoys, as a fringe benefit, sausages and cookies at my house, which is the big dog's home away from home (and she's away from home most of the time). 

I will say in the  little brown dog's favor that he is friendly and personable with me and comparatively polite and respectful with his paramour. It is clear that the big brown dog appreciates this comportment as well, as she has rarely needed to bite him. Well, fairly rarely. A firm though polite growl seems generally sufficient. This may not be the most direct or expedient way to score for the little dog (I don't know, for I was never good at that sort of goal myself), but it is civil, nonetheless, and seemly, especially in the realm of common dog manners. 

In addition to making himself comfortable in my house and eating food from my refrigerator, the little brown suitor also accompanies us on our morning walk, such that people along the way will exclaim "Ah, you have two dogs now!" and I will need to modify my customary response--"It's not my dog"--and answer instead that "They" are not my dogs (neither of which, in any case, people seem inclined to believe). As a matter of fact, over the past couple days, we have begun to pick up several additional hopefuls along the way, becoming something of a neighborhood gang.

Honestly, I guess I'll kind of miss the little brown dog when the big fat brown dog is no longer of interest to him--although she has told me that I needn't worry along those lines, for he will surely love and cleave to her till the end of time. 

No comments: