Visits

Friday, October 26, 2018

Language Comprehension

I was talking to one of the managers here at Starbucks the other day about language. He had mentioned that all Indonesians speak at least two languages--the universal Indonesian that is spoken throughout the Indonesian archipelago and the native language of one's home island--Balinese, Javanese, Sundanese, and so on. There are over 300 different languages spoken in Indonesia. In addition to this, many will speak one or two western languages, such as English or Dutch, given that the Indonesian language is restricted pretty much to Indonesia. 

It strikes me that starting from a baseline deficit may be one of the most effective springboards to achievement, as expanding one's knowledge becomes a necessity rather than merely a good idea. In America, we find ourselves rather unfortunately content with speaking only the English language, essentially because there is no pressing need to learn another language. There are some, even, who grow angry at the use of a foreign language on American soil, insisting that others 'speak American' if they're going to live in America. 

For my bachelor of arts degree at university, I was required to take two years of a foreign language course. I chose French. But there was no necessity to actually learn to speak French, beyond the minimum requirement of a 'pass' grade, and there was little opportunity to use French afterwards. So I did not learn to speak French. I have forgotten almost everything I picked up to earn the passing grade. I have always regretted this, and I see now, living on an island that hosts vacationers from all around the world, that it would have been really cool to know some French if I ran into a French speaking person, which I sometimes do.

It is personally useful for us to have other people speak our native language; but it may also be more useful yet to consider our inability to speak theirs a critical deficit, to be, through our  own effort, overcome. Language is intimately entwined with personality, emotion, humor, character, such that the deeper essence of a person struggling to use a second language may be lost in translation. In other words, he is often most fully himself when operating in the conventions and nuances of his native tongue. For this reason, I commit myself to using Indonesian when speaking to Indonesians, especially to my friends, so that I may glean the most articulate appreciation of their character. 

At the same time, it can be frustrating to be less than articulate myself--for while I take some pride in being able to use the English language effectively, I am painfully aware of my deficits in the use of Indonesian. But therein lies the springboard to growth that I mentioned above. Deficits are good things, when we use them as a launchpad to better things. 

No comments: