Visits

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Life's Little Setbacks

I've been sort of out of commission lately, given this truly annoying pain in my right ribcage. It is especially difficult to sit and type. The best thing seems sleep, really, and that's pretty much what I did yesterday, other than groan. Additionally, this long-term non-healing sore on the top of my ear is bothering me more than ever, as a hard lump seems to have developed in the middle of the sore and it is painful to the touch. I suppose I'm going to have to go to the doctor for it. Hate that idea. 

On the other hand, a friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with metastatic carcinoma, with either lung or neuroendocrine as the primary. The docs are still trying to pin it down with various tests and biopsies. And so I am newly grateful for the slowly creeping nuisance that is MS. I may be in pain, but at least I'm alive, right? 

So far (fingers crossed) I'm the only one in my immediate family to have escaped cancer. My brother had a rare sarcomatous cancer that originated in the groin and spread to the circulatory system. My father had abdominal cancer originating in the gallbladder. My mother had breast cancer. Of course, my father and mother were both older than I when they were diagnosed, so I guess I shouldn't declare victory just yet. My brother was only 30. My father's and my brother's cancers were very rapid and they died soon after diagnosis. My mother was supposedly 'cured' of breast cancer, but the tremendous stress, at her age, of chemotherapy and radiation were just too much and (I think) brought on full-blown Alzheimer's disease. 

Ah well, enough of cancer and MS and rib pain for the moment. "And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well, I just don't understand it." (From the movie, Fargo, of course). 

No comments: