Visits

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Final Descent

On to The Final Descent, book 4 in Rick Yancey’s Monstrumologist series.

In the introduction to the book, Yancey writes the following: “There were times when I wasn’t sure what I was writing, but I never doubted that it was worth writing. ... I may not have always known what I had, yet I always knew I had something.”

This is so very true of the process of writing fiction, which entails the writer’s own unspoken journey of discovery, and which is often enough fraught with labors of doubt and fearsome inward struggle. One is keenly aware of having a tiger by the tail and unsure of what to do next, other than just to see what the tiger will do. It is an exhausting, draining struggle and the fruits of victory ultimately go to the reader.

Looking forward to reading book 4, even as I regret that the story must end.

No comments: