Visits

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Clever

I have been facing off this week with a particularly clever rat. I had noted his presence in the kitchen by the evidence of the things he had knocked over--something that cicaks, the little lizards, cannot do. I also noticed that he had been using the silverware drawers as a personal living space and restroom. (I have long since given up on keeping utensils in the drawers. Perhaps he thinks this was for his benefit).

This rat has so far made only one mistake. The first night that I put out a sticky trap, he was careless enough to go after the bait. I found the trap in the morning some eight feet away from where I had placed it, but no rat. It was clear that he had flipped the trap several times, leaving streaks of sticky glue on the ceramic tiles, but ultimately had escaped, though likely in a rather sticky condition. Since that time, he has avoided the traps, food or no food. This rat exerts self-control. I have put sticky paper in the drawers as well, but he now avoids the drawers. He's got my number, you see?

As if to taunt me, the rat appeared inside the house last night. Generally, rats don't come into the house. The kitchen, after all, is outside, and there's nothing interesting, or edible, inside the house. Yet there he was, behind the cupboard in which the dishes and such-like are kept, long tail wagging around one corner. See, I live! Ha-ha! And I go where I will!

So today I have purchased two more sticky traps and will place them strategically in the kitchen before I go to bed. And this may even work ... unless he is still somewhere behind the dishware cupboard inside. Who knows? He is quick and light of foot, invisible but for the brief sight of his tail. 

No comments: