Visits

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Laptop Troubles

Struggling with my laptop over the past few days. Doesn't want to connect to the internet through a hotspot, although the phone and the iPad connect without problem. It's quite irritating to come out to write, and spend the time wrestling with software instead. This morning I tinkered around with this and that, with little idea of what exactly I was tinkering with, and somehow got online. Trouble is, I have no idea how, so tomorrow I may face the same frustration.

And then there is what seems to be an eternal problem with Windows 10. As I wrote some time back, I obediently updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (because Microsoft's message said I really, really should), and the update crashed my laptop. Had to send it out for repair--three days, reinstallation of Windows, recovery of all my programs and documents and so on.

Now,  I continually receive full screen messages saying that I must update to the latest version of Windows 10, for the "old" version will no longer be supported or receive security updates. I showed this to the fellow to fixed the laptop last time, and he said "No! Do not!

Fine. Well, I continue to receive perhaps five full screen messages per day from Microsoft, kind of along the lines of "Oh My God You Got To Update Your System, Dude!

Sigh.

Well, so on the one hand, my system is subject to attack by malware and viruses, and on the other it's subject to being fried by the recommended update.


No comments: