Visits

Monday, April 30, 2018

Dream On

Did you ever have one of these dreams where just as you wake up, you realize that you've discovered the meaning of life, but then the great secret vanishes as you, now conscious in your bed, try to repeat it to yourself? 

I have those every once in a while. This morning there were two critical words floating in my head, or in the air, as I became conscious. Two words separated by the word "and". The trouble is, as soon as I tried to see the words, to form or repeat them in my mind, all that was left was "and". And I know that 'and' cannot be a sufficient description for the meaning of life or the mysteries of the universe. 

How frustrating, right? Just on the verge of knowing something that will make all the difference in the world, but then forgetting it. 

Some will say that there is no meaning, that it is all just an accident, a fruitless repetition of birth and death--sound and fury signifying nothing. 

But I know that it's there. It was on the tip of my tongue. But it is both too brief and too immense for the waking mind to grasp or for the tongue to utter. 

No comments: