Visits

Monday, April 23, 2018

Old Friends

I really need to meet some older people. People over 60. And fairly crippled. People like me! Most of the people I know and converse with are young, which is fine, and entertaining, but limited--because, you see, young, active, healthy people actually like to do things and go places. 

Adi, for instance, mentioned that we could get together for some beers or arak (coconut alcohol). But, well, no we can't, because even one bottle of beer now instantly turns me into a zombie and eventually puts me to sleep. And a sleeping person is not much fun to be with. 

Oming wants me to go with him on my motorbike to Bedugal. Where is Bedugal? I ask. Oh, west Bali. About 3 hours away. Three hours? Me on my bike for three hours? It's enough of a challenge for me to ride from my house to Starbucks, perhaps a half mile. So, no, sorry, Oming. No Bedugal for me. 

No, what I need is someone who mostly sits in a chair and groans off and on, and discusses how rotten the world is and how it ought to be and would be if we had our way, and whose most extravagant journey is to the beach or the grocery store or the nearest warung for a plate of chicken and rice. That, I think, I could keep up with. 

No comments: