Visits

Friday, June 12, 2020

Debate, So-Called

For some time now I have been a participant in a couple of Indonesian American forums on Facebook which have themselves for some time been largely devoted to political debate regarding events in American government and society.

Debate, however, is not an accurate term for much of what goes on on these sites. What I am finding instead is crude vitriol, discourtesy, disrespect, impudence--all of the familiar tools and manners which are by now so familiar to us as coming predominantly from Trump supporters who, across the board, have always seemed particularly lacking in civility and failing in a grasp of the meaning of the term 'debate'.

This in itself does not surprise me at this late point in time. What does surprise me, however, is the adoption of these attitudes, this stubborn insolence, by Indonesian immigrants to America.

Here are just a few examples:

You need to shut the hell up!

You can't handle the truth!

You're just a fake.

Well look at the protesters n looters! They don't give a damn care about their health or their victims! Only the TV, brand name purses, jeans and shoes etc! I' d just leave them alone and let the nature (Virus) do its marvelous works! (Lol. Racist, much?).

hahaha, I don't think so. maybe you need glasses and find legit sources instead of watching fake news. (Legit sources def: Fox News and various wacko far right commentators).

Well, and so on.

Having after nine years become accustomed to the more gracious society of Bali and the more respectful people of Indonesia in general, I am astounded and saddened to see the carelessness and rudeness that Indonesian immigrants appear to have learned from us. Even more disheartened am I by the abandonment of respect for elders so native to Indonesian culture. Such manners would leave the locals here aghast and ashamed.

Having said as much, I will be quick to acknowledge that there are certainly those who thoughtfully debate with cordial civility. These are indeed those who bring the best of Indonesia to my own native country, and for whom I am thankful and to this extent encouraged.  

No comments: