Visits

Friday, June 26, 2020

Dog Tricks

I find that my new neighborhood is just a little bit better than the old one for walking without having to walk in one direction and then turn around and walk the same route back. From my house, I can walk to the end of the short broken road to Gang Merdu Komala, take a right and walk all the way down to an alley that goes through to Gang Mawar (my old street), take a right again and walk along Gang Mawar to Jalan Hangtua, a wide main street, and from Hangtua hit Merdu Komala again. Essentially a big rectangle.

This is rather far for an old guy like me, but that's not really the problem. The problem is that there are various packs of dogs wandering around on the streets along the way and they don't much cotton to strangers entering their territory. They don't much cotton to each other either. They're a motley looking crew and one has the impression that they, like many Bali dogs, don't belong to anyone in particular, but are simply attached to a general area and the various people there.

As a rule, dog's don't have a problem with me, nor I with them; but these are territorial dogs, prepared to object to the presence of strange man and strange beast alike.

There are a couple of tricks that I have learned over the years. One trick is to yawn as one passes, as this is an appeasement or calming signal to dogs, and dogs do it as well. It is a way of saying, 'Okay, I feel a bit anxious, but I don't want no trouble.'

Another is to sharply point one finger toward the ground and say 'Shh!'

Another is to continue a leisurely pace, maybe speak in a calm voice, and avoid turning turning as if you mean to confront the dog.

I did think of bringing my cane, which is actually more of a thick walking stick, but it might just be that the dog would see that as a heightened threat. Not sure.

Of course, their bark is worse than their bite, as we say. They are, in their own minds, doing their job and usually don't intend to actually attack. And if there were a dog who had attacked some neighbor passing through, that dog would no doubt meet its end quite soon. People here tend to take such matters in their own hands.

Anyway, as long as the evenings remain cool, I will try to drag myself out for this excursion a couple or a few times a week. Perhaps the dogs will come to recognize me. And I suppose it is more likely in any case that one might be run over by a motorbike than bit by a dog.

No comments: