Visits

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

So Much for the Dog

Conveniently enough, just as I found myself in the new place without wifi, Starbucks opened for business as usual (more or less, the only difference being the store hours). Yay! So I can at least get online here for writing in the blog and so on).

As I mentioned, I brought Takut the dog with me to the new place, but he was very uncomfortable and all the night long he was uncomfortable, nervously pacing back and forth in the driveway, peering out hesitantly into the street. In the morning, I took him out for a walk and he managed to find his way to the field beside our road, which seemed to make him a bit happier.

However, come mid morning I returned on my motorbike to the old apartment to pick up some sandals I had forgotten to bring, and upon returning to the bike, who did I find? That's right, Takut the dog. He had followed the sound of my engine all the way back home.

I had some errands to do, and then when I arrived back home I called Sia at the old place and asked if the dog was still there. Yes, he was. Never mind, she said, it's okay. He is more comfortable here and feels at home. We will take care of him.

I had suspected from the get-go that this might happen. Takut was at that apartment complex before I moved there myself--how long there, nobody seems to know, as he was living under the floor of the back patio (or gazebo, as they call it). During my stay he had merely learned to emerge from his hiding place and befriend people, and he discovered that some of them are not so bad.

Takut had become a community dog now, whether they liked it or not--and most of them did like him. He got food from everyone. He slept on whoever's porch he chose. And whenever I left, there were others around.

So the long and short of it is that Takut is no longer with me. I miss him, but I know he is happier there. And that's the important thing: for a dog who has had a hard life to be rewarded with a happy ending.



Jalan rusak, as they say--a 'broken street' is mine; ah, but no worries. They'll probably improve it within a decade or so.

1 comment:

Mb said...

Awesome dog story.