Visits

Friday, June 19, 2020

Masks

A friend of mine in Jakarta happened to mention that she has a couple of ornamental masks (Balinese, I think), which she received as a wedding gift, and does not know what to do with them, for although she appreciates the artwork, she is 1) a little afraid of the faces and 2) disallowed as a Muslim to display such things in the home (the thought being, apparently, that they dissuade good angels from entering).

"I'll take em!" said I.

I've always liked these sorts of things--things that have a traditional yet individual flavor, that are products of imagination and good craftsmanship. My friend has also a copper plate depicting a batik-style pattern, and she will send this along with the masks.

The truth is, as long as I have been in Bali, I have enjoyed no sort of décor at all, partly because such things would be just an unneedful expense and partly because my time in any one place has always been temporary, and in any case the houses belonged to someone else. Now that I am in a place that belongs to Louis, and will be there, according to her anyway, for the next twenty-five years, I feel more free to personalize little by little.

I've never been particularly superstitious about objects, although that's not to say that awareness is not a good idea. We are all aware of the many movies nowadays wherein some object--Annabelle the creepy doll, for instance--has been occupied by an evil presence, a demon, or wherein interaction with some object happens to invite a demon--the Ouija Board, a haunted book, and so on--and I must admit that these masks are fairly creepy, but in a stylish, sophisticated way, ya know. All the better to be possessed, or all the more likely to forbid good angels? Well, one hopes not. And I suppose if they did become impregnated with evil, one could just give them to someone he doesn't like, right!

I have also long been fond of the traditional Indonesian Wayang puppets. These are used in traditional plays for various social and religious events. I find them fascinating and unique, each having its own story. I think they'd look great on one of my walls as well. I truly don't have a lot of wall to cover, but I'm finding that I would like it to be something other than blank white in due time. Something more cozy, more lived in, more personalized.
 

No comments: