Visits

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

The Indonesian Response

Living in Indonesia, and outside the tourist hubs, I talk to many Indonesian people every day, both in person and in online social groups, and I can say that in my experience, despite the claims of the Trumpist press, America is not 'more respected than ever around the world.' On the contrary, the people here, having long looked up to America and its democratic ideals, are now nearly uniformly aghast at what is happening in my country and at the words and actions of our president, for whom they hold nothing but disdain. In fact, I have spoken to one person only who expressed a positive view--a policeman who said he likes him because he is rich and has a beautiful wife. Aside from that one rather clueless individual however, there is what I would describe as an overarching feeling of perplexity, discouragement, and disappointment among the Indonesian people. "What happened?" This is what they ask.

It is worth saying here that Indonesians in general are far more knowledgeable about American politics and political leaders than are Americans about Indonesia. They are aware of what is going on from day to day, aware of our long problem with race relations, aware of what happened with George Floyd and aware of the demonstrations and riots. They understand what 'Black lives matter' means and what the appropriate response is, while many white Americans still do not.  

On the other hand, I know many Indonesian Americans who avidly support Trump, embracing, as far as I can figure, a conceit that would count intolerance as strength, compassion as weakness, the brutal, thoughtless words of our president as somehow eloquent. I am mystified by this. They are, after all--many of them--coming from a country that saw its own period of repression and uprisings, of demonstrations and of violent riots. Of their own struggle for equality and representation under the law. Have they come to America only to become blind and fearful, to integrate our most lamentable national inclinations?

Well, as I say, it is perfectly mystifying to me; and so I am happy to say that I also know many who have embraced what is best in America and brought their own innate morality and personal integrity to bear on the things that need to be acknowledged and addressed.

No comments: